Turmeric is best known for it's anti-inflammatory properties.
Curcumin is the active component in turmeric which acts as a powerful anti-oxidant. Anti-oxidants are needed to buffer free radicals which can otherwise cause cellular damage.
Curcumin also has anti-inflammatory properties because it blocks inflammatory pathways in the body. There are lots of conditions linked to increased inflammation such as arthritis, diabetes, obesity, depression and Alzheimer’s.
A turmeric latte is an easy way to enjoy these beneficial properties.
• 1 tbsp of fresh grated turmeric or 1 heaped tsp of turmeric powder
• 1 tsp of fresh grated ginger
• Pinch of ground black pepper
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 250 ml coconut milk or other milk (make sure it’s not a really low-fat or fat-free milk, as we need some fat for absorbing the curcumin, which is a fat-soluble compound)
• Bring the milk to the boil and turn off
• Add the spices and steep for 10 minutes
• Strain the liquid and if you like it hot, add the liquid back to the pan, bringing it to simmer
• Pour into a cup and enjoy!