Maximize whole-food sources of muscle-building protein with this easy-to-prepare bowl of light but tasty seafood. Fresh garlic and chili add immune-boosting polyphenols, while courgette brings antioxidants, fibre and vitamin C to support overall health. Rice noodles complete this dish to provide gluten-free carbohydrates to replenish muscle glycogen and improve recovery after training.
Ingredients – serves 2
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/3rd fresh chili, de-seeded and chopped
1 large courgette, sliced
250g king prawns
2 rafts of rice noodles – ribbon or vermicelli
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Lime or lemon wedges to garnish
- Heat olive oil and add chopped garlic and chili– stir for one minute without burning the garlic.
- Add the courgetti slices and lower the heat. Cook until they start to soften.
- While the courgette slices are cooking, prepare the noodles according to the manufacturer’s instructions – this usually involves soaking them in hot water for around five minutes before draining them in a colander.
- Add the prawns to the garlic, chili and courgettes.
- Stir-fry until the prawns are cooked through.
- Add a dash of soy sauce.
- Drain the noodles and stir them into the prawn mixture.
- Serve with slices of lime or lemon to squeeze over the dish.
- Frozen green (French) beans can take the place of courgettes.
- A dash of coconut milk and water instead of soy sauce transforms this dish into a prawn & noodle soup!