Vitamins for Ear, Nose & Throat
Supplements for Ear, Nose and Throat Health
The ears, nose and throat are all closely connected, for example the back of the nose leads into the throat, and the eustachian tubes connect the middle ear to the throat. Common conditions that affect the ears, nose and throat include sinusitis, nasal congestion, tinnitus, hay fever, the common cold, itchy ears and ear infections.
Key Foods for Ear, Nose and Throat Health
Keeping your body healthy by consuming plenty of nutrient-dense foods, staying hydrated and engaging in regular physical activity to promote healthy blood circulation, can help to keep the ear, nose and throat region healthy and functioning well. Consider including some of the foods below for ear, nose and throat health:
- Anti-inflammatory fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices - such as kiwi fruit, blueberries, sweet potato, butternut squash, pineapple, citrus fruits, brassica vegetables, leafy greens, onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, mint and sage.
- Consume vitamin-D rich foods to support a healthy immune system, for example oily fish (salmon, herring, trout, anchovies, sardines, mackerel) or sun-enriched mushrooms.
- Stay hydrated - Aim to drink at least 1.5L of fluids every day, including hot herbal teas which also encourage the loosening of mucous if you suffer from hayfever or have the common cold.
- Include omega-3 fatty acids for their anti-inflammatory properties - sources include linseeds/flaxseeds, walnuts, hemp seed oil, oily fish (salmon, trout, anchovies, mackerel, herring, sardines.
- Eat vitamin-C rich foods to support your immune system and for healthy mucous membranes, such as bell pepper, oranges, kiwi fruit, lemons, strawberries, blueberries, parsley, broccoli and kale.
Which Supplements Can Support Ear, Nose and Throat Health?
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
Top Tips on Buying Supplements for Ear, Nose and Throat Health
- Look for supplements which contain vitamin D3 which is the bio-available form of vitamin D. Consider getting your vitamin D levels tested so that you can supplement according to your needs.
- For vitamin C, look for the ascorbate form rather than ascorbic acid, as this is gentler on your stomach.
- Zinc picolinate and zinc citrate are good bioavailable forms of zinc to supplement with to ensure optimal absorption.
- If you are taking medications, have an autoimmune condition, or are pregnant, check with your GP before taking echinacea or elderberry supplements.
Nutritional Therapy Support For Ear, Nose and Throat Health
Work with a registered Nutritional Therapist for a personalised nutrition and diet plan, tailored to your specific health requirements. For one-to-one support with ear, nose and throat conditions and to book a consultation, head over to our expert page here: https://www.vitaminology.co/consultations
Ear, Nose & Throat Products
Ear, Nose & Throat Articles
- Vitaminology2 min readThe foods you eat can support your immune system, this article discusses what to eat when you have a cold or flu.Rose Legge
- Vitaminology2 min read
Preventing And Treating The Common ColdThese key nutrients provide a powerful and natural way of treating the common cold.Annette James
- Vitaminology1 min read
Flu Recovery TipsThere are a number of flu recovery tips including good ventilation and stress management to help you feel better.Rose Legge