Supplements for Heart Health
Are you looking to improve your heart health? Your heart is responsible for continuously pumping blood around your body to carry oxygen and nutrients to cells and to remove carbon dioxide and waste products from cells. According to the British Heart Foundation, there are an average of 460 deaths each day due to heart and circulatory diseases in the UK.
Eating a healthy nutritious diet, quitting smoking, maintaining a healthy weight, physical activity, regularly getting a good night’s sleep and managing stress can help to keep your heart healthy and reduce your risk of heart-related diseases.
Key Foods for Heart Health
To work well your heart needs good nourishment from fruits, vegetables, good-quality protein, healthy fats, wholegrains, and nutrients such as omega-3 fats, magnesium. To support your heart health, try to include the following foods in your diet and stick to low salt options:
- Fruits and vegetables - use a rainbow as your guide and eat at least one portion from each colour (red, orange, yellow/white, green and blue/purple) daily. This ensures you get a wide range of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant plant compounds to support heart health.
- Magnesium-rich foods such as dark, leafy green vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, avocado, cacao and wholegrains. Magnesium supports muscle relaxation and contraction and helps to regulate blood pressure.
- Healthy fats include extra virgin olive oil, flaxseeds, walnuts, avocados, unsalted nuts, seeds and oily fish. They help to support healthy cell membranes and facilitate cell signaling and have anti-inflammatory properties which can protect against free radical damage to heart cells and blood vessels.
- Wholegrains and legumes such as brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, oats, beans and lentils have been shown to support heart health.
- Good quality protein is found in meat, fish, tofu, quinoa, eggs, nuts, seeds, chickpeas, lentils and beans (combine beans with grains to create a complete protein). Avoid processed meats which can be detrimental to heart health.
Which Supplements Can Support Heart Health?
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin C
- Omega-3 fatty acids
Top Tips on Buying Supplements for Heart Health
- You can supplement with either a fish oil supplement for omega-3 or if you prefer, a vegan source of omega-3, look for supplements derived from algae oil.
- For vitamin C, look for the ascorbate form rather than ascorbic acid, as this is gentler on your stomach.
- Look for supplements which contain vitamin D3 which is the bio-available form of vitamin D. Consider getting your vitamin D levels tested so that you can supplement according to your needs.
- The most bio-available forms of magnesium are magnesium glycinate and magnesium citrate, either in powder or capsule form.
Nutritional Therapy Support For Heart Health
Work with a registered Nutritional Therapist for a personalised nutrition and diet plan, tailored to your specific health requirements. For one-to-one support with heart health and to book a consultation, head over to our expert page here: https://www.vitaminology.co/consultations
Heart Health Products
Heart Health Articles
- Vitaminology2 min readEggs, dairy, and high cholesterol. Find out if you really have to avoid these foods.Rose Legge
- Vitaminology2 min read
Co-Enzyme Q10 And Heart HealthNourish your heart health with vital energy-boosting CoQ10.Annette James
- Vitaminology2 min read
Dietary Recommendations For Healthy CirculationImprove your heart health and blood pressure with these nourishing foods for better circulation.Annette James