Supplements for Neurological
Are you suffering from a neurological condition? The nervous system plays a vital role in the transmission of signals around the body. It controls movement, thoughts and responses to external stimuli, and affects processes such as digestion, heart rate, breathing, memory, and emotions, amongst many other functions.
There are a wide range of neurological conditions that affect different parts of the body and in varying ways. Examples of these include migraine, headache, epilepsy, neuropathy, stroke, Alzheimer’s Disease, Parkinson’s Disease, brain tumours, and cerebral palsy. According to The Neurological Alliance, 1 in 6 people in the UK have a neurological condition. Regularly consuming nutrient-dense foods can help to nourish the nervous system in order to keep it working optimally and to help to reduce the risk of neurological problems and symptoms.
Key Foods for Neurological Health
An anti-inflammatory diet which includes fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, complex carbohydrates, good quality protein and healthy fats can support neurological health and help to protect against neuroinflammation. Nutrients of particular importance for brain and neurological health include magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, sulforaphane, fermented foods as well as good hydration.
- Magnesium supports the nervous system and is involved in over 600 chemical reactions in the body. It is found in dark leafy green vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, cacao, wholegrains, bananas and avocado.
- Omega-3 fatty acids support healthy cell membrane function and can help to reduce inflammation. Omega-3 is found in oily fish, hemp seeds, flaxseeds and walnuts.
- Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, broccoli sprouts, cauliflower, kale, cabbage and watercress contain sulforaphane which has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fermented products include yoghurt, cottage cheese, unpasteurised sauerkraut, miso, tempeh, natto, kombucha and kefir which can support a healthy gut-brain axis and cognitive function.
- Good hydration supports normal nervous system function and may help to reduce headaches. Aim for 6-8 glasses of fluid per day, which can include tea, coffee, low fat milk and sugar free drinks.
Which Supplements Can Support Neurological Health?
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- B vitamins
Top Tips on Buying Supplements for Neurological Health
- Magnesium glycinate and magnesium citrate are good bioavailable forms of magnesium.
- You can supplement with either a fish oil supplement for omega-3 or if you prefer, a vegan source of omega-3, look for supplements derived from algae oil.
- It is better to take a B-complex supplement that contains all 8 B vitamins, since they work better together. Do not take B vitamins long-term, particularly at high doses, as this may be harmful.
- If you are receiving cancer treatment, speak to your specialist or GP before taking sulforaphane.
Nutritional Therapy Support For Neurological Health
Work with a registered Nutritional Therapist for a personalised nutrition and diet plan, tailored to your specific health requirements. For one-to-one support with neurological health and to book a consultation, head over to our expert page here: https://www.vitaminology.co/consultations
Try different keywords or remove filters.
- Vitaminology2 min readCould gluten be causing your poor memory and brain fog?Rose Legge
- Vitaminology1 min read
Keto Friendly Chocolate Chip Avocado Mini MuffinsAvocado is the star of the show in these nutritious, keto-friendly, chocolate chip muffins.Marisa Matos
- Vitaminology3 min read
Strategies For Migraine And Headache ReliefHow relieving stress and eating an anti-inflammatory diet provides natural headache relief.Marisa Matos