Supplements for Thyroid Function
Are you struggling to lose weight, feel cold and struggle to lose weight and wonder if you could have low thyroid function? Underactive thyroid is a common condition in the UK, affecting more women than men.
Many people take medication for underactive thyroid, but there are also simple dietary and lifestyle changes you can make to improve your thyroid function.
Key Foods for Thyroid Health
Nutrients which support healthy thyroid function include selenium, zinc, iodine and iron. Include these foods in your diet:
- Organ meats: kidney, liver and heart are an excellent source of iron and zinc.
- Seaweed: contains the richest source of iodine, with kombu and dried nori (used in sushi) containing the highest amounts.
- Nuts and seeds: nuts and seeds provide a good levels of zinc, and just 2 brazil nuts contains the recommended daily allowance of selenium.
- Free-range, organic eggs: provide good amounts of zinc, selenium and iodine.
Which Supplements Can Support Thyroid Health?
Consider these top nutrients when looking for supplements to support thyroid health:
Top Tips on Buying Supplements for Thyroid Health
- Zinc picolinate and zinc citrate are good bioavailable forms of zinc to supplement with to ensure optimal absorption.
- If you eat a strict vegan diet or don’t eat fish, then it’s worth considering supplementing with iodine. However, it can be harmful to take too much so it may be best to speak to your GP or nutritional therapist and get your levels tested first.
- It can be harmful to take selenium in high doses or for a long time. Stick to doses below 400mcg daily for short-term use only. Consult with your GP or nutritional therapist for guidance.
Nutritional Therapy Support For Thyroid Health
Work with a registered Nutritional Therapist for a personalised nutrition and diet plan, tailored to your specific health requirements. For one-to-one support with thyroid health and to book a consultation, head over to our expert page here: https://www.vitaminology.co/consultations
Thyroid Function Products
Thyroid Function Articles
- Vitaminology7 min readLift your mood with these anti-inflammatory nutrition and supplement tips.Rose Legge
- Vitaminology1 min read
Thyroid-Nourishing Strawberry SmoothieA nutritional therapist's favourite strawberry smoothie recipe for healthy thyroid function.Claire Murray
- Vitaminology2 min read
Thyroid And Low Energy - Could Your Thyroid Be Making You Tired?Feeling tired, cold and lacking energy? It may be time to get your thyroid checked!Kirsten Chick