Vitamins for Beauty
Supplements for Beautiful Skin
Are you wondering how to get radiant, glowing skin? The first step is to nourish your skin from the inside out by consuming skin-supporting foods. The skin is the body’s largest organ and is made up of specific cells and tissues including proteins such as collagen and elastin, oil glands, hair follicles, nerve cells, blood vessels and immune cells. It covers approximately 16 percent of our total body weight and acts as a vital interface between the outside world, protecting us from infection, relaying sensory messages and regulating temperature.
Key Foods for Beautiful Skin
- Eat antioxidant-rich fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices for example red cabbage, bell peppers, apples, citrus fruits, berries, turmeric, cinnamon, rosemary and thyme. These foods contain plant compounds called polyphenols which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help to protect skin cells from free-radical damage.
- Aim to drink 2-3 litres of filtered water per day to keep the skin hydrated and looking plump and smooth.
- Aim to consume 75g of protein each day. Protein is important for the production and repair of skin cells. It also promotes the production of collagen, a protein which gives skin its firm, smooth structure.
- Eat foods rich in the plant compound carotene such as butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes and red pepper, and vitamin A which is found in liver, egg yolk and dairy products. Carotene acts as an antioxidant to protect skin cells from oxidative damage, and vitamin A helps to support a strong skin barrier.
- Consume vitamin-C rich foods such as bell peppers, kiwi, citrus foods, Brussels sprouts, parsley, strawberries, broccoli and kale which helps to protect against free radical damage and supports collagen production and repair of skin cells.
Which Supplements Can Support Beautiful Skin?
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin A
- Omega-3 fatty acids
Top Tips on Buying Supplements for Beautiful Skin
- Unless deficient, vitamin A supplementation should be avoided as excessive amounts of vitamin A can have negative side effects on the body. Men require 700 micrograms per day and women require 600 micrograms per day.
- For vitamin C, look for the ascorbate form rather than ascorbic acid, as this is gentler on your stomach. Men and women require 40 milligrams per day.
- Zinc picolinate and zinc citrate are good bioavailable forms of zinc to supplement with to ensure optimal absorption. Men require 9.5 milligrams per day, women require 7 milligrams per day.
- Vegan omega-3 supplements are available which are derived from algae oil if you do not want to take a fish oil supplement.
Nutritional Therapy Support For Beautiful Skin
Work with a registered Nutritional Therapist for a personalised nutrition and diet plan, tailored to your specific health requirements. For one-to-one support with beauty and to book a consultation, head over to our expert page here: https://www.vitaminology.co/consultations
- Vitaminology3 min readSix best nutrients for glowing skin to boost your radiance from the inside out.Rose Legge
- Vitaminology1 min read
Roasted Carrot And Squash Salad With Quinoa, Apple, Jalapeno And PomegranateNourish your skin with this vibrant and antioxidant-rich quinoa carrot salad with squash.Annette James
- Vitaminology3 min read
Why Are The Corners Of My Mouth Cracked?What causes cracked, sore corners of your mouth and how can you soothe the discomfort?Rose Legge