Supplements for Immune Support
Supplements for Immune Support
The human immune system is a complex set of processes and substances that keeps us safe from infection and helps to remove dead or faulty cells from the body. It is equally important that the immune system is able to turn off its response so that normal function can resume and chronic inflammation can be avoided.
Did you know 70% percent of your immune system is located in the gut? Immune cells in the gut lining and the gut microbiota (bacteria, viruses, protozoa) play a crucial role in the healthy regulation of the immune system. Gut health can therefore influence the immune system, in addition to other factors including chronic stress, nutrient deficiencies and long-term exposure to environmental toxins.
Consuming healthy and nourishing foods is absolutely key to ensure your immune system is fuelled with the nutrients it needs to do its job effectively.
Key Foods for Immune Support
Whether you’re feeling run down or you just want to boost your immune system as winter approaches, here are five key foods to add into your diet:
- Garlic - has a long history of traditional use as an anti-infection remedy. It contains multiple compounds that may have positive effects on the human immune system.
- Ginger - contains gingerols and other substances that have anti-microbial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Green tea - is rich in antioxidant compounds and, in particular, contains the immunity-supporting substances epigallocatechin (ECGC) and L-theanine.
- Foods containing vitamin D - such as oily fish, sun-enriched mushrooms, eggs and some fortified foods. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to increased infections and poor immunity.
- Vitamin-C rich foods - such as citrus fruits, kiwi, bell peppers, broccoli, tomato, kale, parsley and strawberries. Vitamin C is an important antioxidant nutrient that supports the healthy functioning of the immune system.
Which Supplements Can Support Immunity?
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Multivitamin and mineral product
Top Tips on Buying Supplements for Immune Support
- Make sure to choose a multivitamin and mineral product that does not contain iron, unless you know you are deficient, as too much iron can negatively affect the immune system.
- Look for supplements which contain vitamin D3 which is the bio-available form of vitamin D. Consider getting your vitamin D levels tested so that you can supplement according to your needs.
- For vitamin C, look for the ascorbate form rather than ascorbic acid, as this is gentler on your stomach.
- Do not take probiotics if you are severely ill, immunocompromised or have an indwelling or central venous catheter.
Nutritional Therapy Support For Immune Support
Work with a registered Nutritional Therapist for a personalised nutrition and diet plan, tailored to your specific health requirements. For one-to-one support with heart health and to book a consultation, head over to our expert page here: https://www.vitaminology.co/consultations
Immune Support Products
Immune Support Articles
- Vitaminology2 min readSix key nutrients for immune system health and how to include them in your diet.Caroline Hind
- Vitaminology2 min read
5 Foods to Boost your Immune SystemThe top 5 best foods to boost your immune system and keep yourself healthy.Caroline Hind
- Vitaminology3 min read
Essential Dietary Supplements For Coeliac DiseaseWhat are the best vitamins for coeliac disease and should you use a dietary supplement?Rose Legge