Poison Ivy

18/Description

About

Poison ivy is a plant. Most people remember poison ivy as a plant that can cause a serious, long-lasting rash, if touched. The leaves are used to make medicine.

Poison ivy is used to treat pain.

How it works

Poison ivy is a severe skin irritant that stimulates the immune system. Re-exposure leads to allergic reactions.

Effectiveness

Not Proven
Pain
Other conditions

Concerns

Likely unsafe

Poison ivy is LIKELY UNSAFE when taken by mouth or touched. Chemicals in poison ivy can cause an allergic reaction with widespread symptoms. When taken by mouth, poison ivy can cause severe irritation of the mouth, throat, and lining of the stomach and intestines; nausea; vomiting; colic; diarrhea; dizziness; blood in the urine; fever; and coma.Skin contact can cause redness, swelling, blisters, severe skin destruction, swelling of the eye (cornea), or loss of sight. To prevent poison ivy from causing skin irritation, wash exposed area with water within 5 to 10 minutes of contact. Use soap and water first, then ether or alcohol.Inhaling smoke from the burning plant can result in fever, lung infection, and death due to swelling of the throat.

18/Warnings

Warnings

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Poison ivy isLIKELY UNSAFEto take by mouth or touch. Avoid it.Dosing considerations for Poison Ivy.

Interactions

No information available.

The information provided on this page is for reference purposes and is not meant to be used as a medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always consult with a medical professional.