If you are bunged up with a cold or feeling run down with the flu, this lemon, honey and ginger tonic may be a soothing drink, especially before bed to promote more restful sleep.
Lemon juice is a great source of immune-supporting vitamin C. Lemon rind is especially rich in both vitamin C and flavonoids which have anti-viral and antioxidant properties.
Honey contains natural antimicrobial substances and may help to soothe the throat when combined with lemon in a warm drink. The addition of ginger to this recipe gives the taste a little kick and is a source of gingerol, a compound with potential antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 1 small fresh root of ginger, peeled and finely grated or chopped
- 250ml hot water
- Gently wash the outside of the lemon and finely grate the rind into a small pan.
- Squeeze all of the juice from the lemon into the same pan.
- Add the grated ginger.
- Add 250ml of hot water.
- Add 3 tablespoons of honey and stir all of the ingredients well.
- Add a low heat and leave for a couple of minutes (do not use high heat as this can destroy the vitamin C).
- Use a strainer to pour the mixture into a mug.
Make yourself cosy and enjoy!